STUDENTS AS COMMUNITY BUILDERS: ENHANCING A SENSE OF BELONGING IN HIGHER EDUCATION
Event Type: Inclusiveness Meetup – #IBelong Multiplier Event
Location: Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto (FPCEUP)
Hosting institution: University of Porto, Portugal
The second #IBelong Inclusiveness Meet-up will take place on June 17, 2020, at the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto (FPCEUP).
This meetup is specifically focused on the role students can have in promoting a sense of belonging and of community among peers. The meetup also aims to reflect on the experiences of students from groups traditionally under-represented in higher education; and on educational, social, and institutional policies that may contribute to students’ sense of belonging to higher education, increasing their chances of success and reducing dropout numbers.
The main language of presentation is English.
The project ‘Towards a sense of belonging in an inclusive learning environment’ (#IBelong) aims at improving the experiences and outcomes of students from diverse backgrounds through creating a more inclusive learning environment in higher education. We focus on migrant students and first generation entrants in higher education in particular considering the performance gap these students experience in higher education across Europe. In the #IBelong project we built a programme of interventions to develop a sense of belonging among higher education students irrespective of their diversity, thereby increasing student retention and promoting a fair chance of succeeding.
Via the sharing of the #IBelong interventions and first results we hope to connect practitioners, policy makers, researchers and experts on the subjects of higher education and inclusive learning environments.
CALL FOR PAPERS
Everyone interested is invited to submit their proposals by March 31st, 2020, in a maximum of 300 words (bibliographical references not included) taking as reference the following thematic axes:
- Sense of belonging to higher education: influence of institutional dynamics; role of students, teachers, management bodies and other services.
- Students as community builders: Mentoring programs; informal strategies promoted by students; other programs, actions, or activities developed by students.
- Experiences of social groups traditionally under-represented in higher education: students from cultural minorities; migrant students, first generation students, among others.
The work(s) to be presented should focus on one of the proposed thematic axes and may be presented in one of three different formats:
- Traditional oral presentations (maximum presentation time 15 minutes)
- Poster (Format A1 should contain abstract, methodology, results, conclusions and bibliographic references)
- Pitching (Presentation format for intervention projects, presentation time maximum 5 minutes).
Those formats aim to open space for small group discussion, considering that the reflection promoted and the dissemination of knowledge will contribute to rethinking processes and practices.
Abstracts should be written in English. The works must also be presented in English.
Certificates declaring the presentation of works will be given to those present at the event.
Abstract submissions should be made in a Word document, to be sent by email to IBelong@fpce.up.pt indicating in the subject “Submission – Inclusiveness Meetup Porto”, and including the following information:
– Authors, institutional affiliation, country, email contact;
– A title;
– A maximum of 3 keywords related to the title;
– The thematic axis to which the work refers;
– The format of presentation chosen.
- Deadline for submission of papers: March 31, 2020
- Dissemination of results: May 15, 2020
- Registration: From March 1st, 2020 onhttps://ibelong.eu/news-events/
The event is free of charge